MARCH2016 - page 2

I received a call on Wednesday,
January 13, that the morning crew
fromFOXTelevisionChannel 13 from
Rochester would be at the Jell-O
Museum at 5:30 Friday morning to
broadcast live. Hannah Welker, of
GoodDay Rochester was on site, ea-
ger to share all the discoveries she
found at the museum. Three long
segments were broadcast between
6 and 9with several “teasers.” Itwas
great fun and well worth the early
Althoughwe are closedweekends
January, February andMarch,we are
busy during the week completing
the Gift Shop inventory, and reorga-
nizing the Jell-O Exhibit, catchingup
on accessioningobjects, andplacing
orders for the upcoming busy sea-
son.Wehaveevenhosteda few tours
of folks from Rochester, and visitors
fromArgentina, aswell asOklahoma
and several other states.We will be
working with the
to de-
newBarnQuilt tourmap.
About three years ago, it became
evident that three cottonwood trees
at the edge of the parking lot were
dying and one was threatening the
Little League snack bar. Asmuch as
itwas very expensivebecauseof the
height of the trees.Onewas leaning
over the neighbor’s yard and fence.
Luckilywewereable tohire thesame
crew that removed the twonut trees
that flanked the driveway, and the
three treesweredropped in thepark-
ing lotwithout incident.Theyprovid-
ed a massive amount of wood, that
is not the best firewood, but would
make great campfire wood, and in
the past couple of weekends, the
three huge trees arebeing removed.
The piles of branches and brushwill
be chipped in the springbefore the
LittleLeagueseasonbegins inApril.
Our Board approved the request
fromLittleLeague to install abatting
cage on the west side of the field.
Workwas completed on the cement
pad in the fall,and the fence - -which
will be removable - -will be installed
in the spring.
A new school program was de-
veloped for the third grades, based
on LeRoy’s early libraries. Students
learned about the early Farmer’s li-
braries established in Batavia and
Wheatland in 1806 and 1807. Other
libraries were owned by pioneer
lawyers and doctors, but there were
no public libraries. Several stores
in LeRoy offered “reading rooms”
with a selection of books, but this
was limited to men. The women of
LeRoy raised money to buy books
for their library, but a fire destroyed
many of the books. Eventually they
moved into the house on the corner
of Lake Street andBacon Street. The
third graders were a little surprised
to learn that there were not many
bookswritten forchildren.Toencour-
age the students to start a library of
their own at home, they were given
From theDeskof theDirector
bookplates toput in their favoriteor
most valuablebooks.
rial Dayproject to install flags on the
veterans’ graves at Machpelah Cem-
etery, we are searching through our
files to bring the cemetery records
up todate. This requirescrosscheck-
ing the cemetery list with the DAR
list, the list of names on the Soldier’s
Monument,theGAR records,theclip-
pingfiles and theobituary files. Last
year, Sid Barefoot photographed all
the grave sites with the flags and
those photos will be filed with the
obituary notice in a notebook ar-
ranged alphabetically. Jim Spear
hasmademeasured cemeterymaps
available that will help pin point ex-
act locations forflagplacement.
The Historical Society has recently
purchaseda largecollectionofLeRoy
tradecards. Thesecolorful littlecards
were popular in the late 1800s and
early 1900s and provide evidence of
these local merchants. A research
project will be to learn more about
these stores andwhen they were in
Another recent acquisition is a Jell-
O recipe book published in Canada.
Although isappears tobeaduplicate
of the same recipe book distributed
in the United States, upon close in-
spection, thebox on the table in the
illustration shows“Canada’sMost Fa-
mous Dessert.” The front and back
cover of the booklet was illustrated
by Linn Ball and both original paint-
ings are on exhibit in the Jell-OGal-
lery. Alsoadded to theCanadian Jell-
O collection is abox of Jell-O and an
unusual advertisement.
1 3,4,5,6
Powered by FlippingBook