Historical_3 - page 5

Page5
It’s been several
years since there
have been chang-
es in the Jell-O
Gallery and over
this winter we will
gradually
make
some
additions
and bring some
great memorabilia
outof storage.
The first major
change is the instal-
lation of over 100
metal molds. The
idea for the “moldy
wall” came from a
building in Seattle.
In1992,artistDiane
Sukovathy added
400 Jell-Omolds to
the outside of a 1908 building. The
building was slated for demolition
and although it had been declared
a historic site, it was torn down in
1997 – the same year we opened
the Jell-OGallery. No one knows for
surewhereall themoldswere taken.
Most of themolds in the Jell-OGal-
leryhavebeen in storage,butweare
looking for unusual molds on eBay
and inantique stores.
Early copper molds were made
by hammering a soft copper sheet
over awoodenblock. Then the out-
side was covered with a solution of
whiting to prevent the tin from ad-
hering to theoutside. Themoldwas
immersed inmolten tin. And then it
was polished on a lathe. When the
tinbegan towear off the copper, the
moldswere returned tobe retinned.
Tinmolds were in use in the 18th
century and were made from block
tin. Unless they were cleaned and
dried carefully, they often rusted.
Aluminum molds came into use in
theearly 1900s. The Jell-OCompany
offered a variety of aluminummolds
as early as 1902. We do not know
where theearlymarked Jell-Omolds
were manufactured. They do not
have a manufacturers’ mark. There
were several companiesmanufactur-
ingaluminummolds.
Aluminumwas known in Europe
in the early 1800s. Napoleon had
aluminum plates, but at that time
aluminum cost more than gold. In
1852, a pound of aluminum cost
$545perpound.By1890 itonlycost
$2.25apound.
In 1886, Charles Martin Hall of
Oberlin, Ohio, discovered how to
manufacturealuminum inexpensive-
ly.Hall engagedAlfredHunt of Hunt
and Clapp, Pittsburgh metallurgists,
and they established the Pittsburgh
Reduction Company – later named
the AluminumCompany of America.
Their trade name “Wear-Ever” – was
adopted in 1903. In 1895, the Alu-
minum Manufacturing Company
started inbusiness inTwoRivers,Wis-
consin. TheMirrobrandappeared in
1917 and it was just one of several
tradenamesof theAluminumGoods
Manufacturing Company. Nordic
Ware was introduced in 1946 and
wasmanufacturednearMinneapolis,
Minnesota. (Nordic’s claim to fame
was the introduction of the alumi-
numbuntpan in the1950s.)
A variety of molds were offered
by the Jell-O Company, including a
heart and a diamond - - that could
bemoldedwith red Jell-O for acard
party.Threeother largemoldswere
markedwith Jell-O, including a ring
mold, a beehive shape and a fluted
mold. Therewereavarietyof single
servingmolds that weremarked
with Jell-O. Additional molds
were offered by the
Jell-O Company, but
were not marked
with Jell-O.
Changes in the Jell-OGallery
(continued frompage4)
John Deere barn quilt on East Main
Road.
Barn quilt on Route 19 going into
Bergen.
RetiredGeneseeCo.HistorianSueConklin
waspresentedwith thiscrazyquilt.
NosegaybarnquiltRoute19southofLeRoy.
1,2,3,4 6
Powered by FlippingBook