(continued frompage 3)
(continued on page 5)
Page 4
losophy, astronomy of the planets,
analogy, and natural philosophy.
Knowledge of a foreign language was
necessary for graduation. There were
three terms per year – a fall term, a
winter term and a spring term, each
extending for 14 weeks. The students
lived in the three-story house on the
corner of East Main Street and Wol-
cott Street and attended classes in
the lecture hall,just to the east.(About
where the auditorium is today.) Tu-
ition and board was $50 per term (for
carpeted rooms). The students had to
furnish their own lights, towels and
one pair of sheets and pillowcases. An
extra 50 cents was charged for heat in
the fall and winter terms. Additional
charges included $3 for the study of
French, Spanish, Italian, German, Latin
or Greek.
The school had enlarged the library
and had assembled a “cabinet “ of
shells, minerals and foreign curiosi-
ties. The catalogue noted that “there
has also been a large and well select-
ed addition made to the apparatus
for illustrating the natural sciences; in
which may be mentioned a powerful
oxy-hydrogen microscope.” All stu-
dents were expected to participate in
the physical education program. Re-
ligious instruction was encouraged
with the Bible as a textbook. The fac-
ulty included Miss Caroline Chapin,
who taught mathematics and history.
Miss Agnes Blood the teacher of the
preparatory department (younger
women preparing for college).
Professor T. Wood taught vo-
cal music. Miss Julia Ingham, Julia
Childs, and Mary Smead taught vo-
cal and instrumental music. Mary
Stanton (Phineas Staunton’s sister)
taught oil painting and perspective
drawing; Reverend J. H Wilson lec-
tured on the Natural Sciences and
Professor T. Scott Lambert, M.D. lec-
tured on anatomy, physiology and
laws of health. Marietta Ingham
served as the treasurer and prin-
cipal of the boarding department
and Emily, her sister was the Princi-
pal. Reverend A.B. Dunlap A.M was
professor of languages, mental and
moral sciences.
In 1854, there were two dagguer-
rean studios in LeRoy. Jessie Car-
penter’s studio was above Samson’s
Store on Main Street. He had been in
LeRoy, on and off for several years. His
advertisements appear in the
LeRoy
Gazette
. He also sold watches, clocks,
jewelry, drugs and medicines. The
Historical Society has signed exam-
ples of his work. He sold his studio to
Mr. Ball late in 1854. The other studio
in LeRoy was operated by Eliza H. Gil-
lette and her husband George. They
worked together producing da-
guerreotypes and ambrotypes from
1853 to 1862. Although we have no
signed examples of their daguerreo-
types,we havemany signed cartes de
visite photographs which illustrate
their artistic settings and the use of
props which might lead credibility
to the attribution of the Ingham im-
age. If you notice one of the girls is
holding a book in her lap. Also, upon
close examination, the cheeks of the
girls have been tinted pink, which re-
quired a very steady hand, and was
often done by women. In this case,
it might have been Eliza Gillette that
tinted the dagguerreotypes.
The process of making a daguerre-
otype was introduced in 1839 in
France by Louis-Jacques-Mandé
Daguerre. This was first commercial
method of creating a photographic
image. Daguerreotypes were made
by coating a copper plate with silver.
The surface was then cleaned and
finely polished. The plate was placed
in a small box where it was exposed
to iodine vapors for five to thirty min-
utes. A silver iodide film forms on the
surface which is light sensitive. The
sensitized plate was placed carefully
in the camera and exposed to light
for five to fifty minutes. After the
plate was exposed to light, it was re-
moved from the camera and placed
in another box which holds the plate
at a 45 degree angle over a pan of
mercury which was heated to a tem-
perature of 167 degrees. A small hole
in the box allowed the photographer
to inspect the plate during devel-
opment. When the mercury vapors
bring out the image, the plate was
removed, washed in distilled water
saturated with salt or hyposulphide
of soda. The plate was dried over a
1,2,3 5,6