(continued on page 4)
(continued frompage 2)
Page 3
lent Societies; Treasurer of the Ing-
ham Alumnae Association for Chica-
go and the North West. In 1890, she
was living at 428Washington Blvd. in
Chicago, Ill.
Elizabeth A. Moss
of Buffalo at-
tended Ingham in 1853 and gradu-
ated in 1854. She married W.H. Kiefer
who died April 20, 1885. They had 2
children and resided in Lancaster, PA.
She died April 24, 1885.
Elisabeth L. Warner
of Leicester at-
tended Ingham from 1852 to 1854.
She taught at Ingham for 4 years in
the middle and junior department
and the academic department. She
is listed as a teacher of mathematics
and reviews in 1856-1857. She con-
tinued teaching in Livingston County
for 11 years and married E.S.Perry on
February 27, 1862. They had two chil-
dren. She was living in Knowlesville,
NY in 1890.
Abbie Clarke
Safford of Buffalo at-
tended Ingham in 1853 and graduat-
ed in 1854. She taught in Buffalo for
2 years and was living at 790 Clinton
Ave Buffalo in 1890.
Florence A.F. DeWitt Wood
of Homer
Michigan, listed in the senior class in
1854 is also listed as a resident grad-
uate at Ingham University, pursuing
art studies. (She may be the student
that is not included in the class pho-
tograph.) She married Rev. O.D.W.
White in 1858 who was a Professor
of Natural Science and served as an
Army chaplain during the Civil War.
He died July 27th 1883. Florence re-
sided in Marquette, Michigan and
Mount Carroll, Illinois. She continued
teaching for several years including
6 years as an art teacher in Clinton,
Iowa. She was Principal of the Art De-
partment at Monticello Seminary for
1 year and Precepteress of Bette Stu-
art Institute, in Springfield, Illinois for
a year. She was an editor in, Chicago,
Ill for 5 years and Associate editor of
“The Workbasket” in Detroit, Michi-
gan. She was a contributor to various
papers andmagazines and also Presi-
dent of the Alumnae Association of
Ingham University for Chicago and
the Northwest which was organized
April 27, 1885. In 1890, she was resid-
ing at 723 Wells St. in Chicago.
Elizabeth W. Randall
, daughter of
Hiram and Nancy Randall of Stafford
became a teacher after graduation
in 1854. She taught in Brockport for
2 years and Avon 2 years. In 1856, she
married Lester Colby from Perry and
they soon moved to Kansas. This was
during the time that antislavery abo-
litionists were moving into Kansas
with the intention of making Kansas
a free state. Her obituary describes
their lives on the frontier: “She was
one of the pioneers of the southwest
and pioneered in the border ruffian
country where being abolitionists
they were constantly in danger of
losing their lives at the hands of the
rebel sympathizers. Fifty years ago
they purchased a stone farmhouse
that was on the old Indian trail still
known as the old Shawnee trail
overlooking the Missouri River. It
served as a refuge for union sympa-
thizers because of its thick walls and
the woodwork was marked by rebel
bullets. The rebels came over from
the state of Missouri to drive all the
early union settlers out of bleeding
Kansas. “ (The house still stands on
Junction Road in Wyndotte County.
Known as the Junction House, it has
seen better days. At one time it was
used as a nursing home. Described
as a stage coach inn, with 10 bed-
rooms, it was auctioned in 2010).
Elizabeth Randall Colby taught
school is Oskaloosa, and raised six
children. Her husband helped re-
build Lawrence, Kansas, after it was
burned by rebel guerillas in August
1863 during the Quantrill Raid. Eliza-
beth died November 1, 1910.
In 1854, Ingham students in their
senior year studied logic, moral sci-
ences, modern history, mythology,
natural theology, intellectual phi-
In the mid twentieth century the Junction House underwent renovations (be-
low) and paper nickels issued during the presidency of James Buchanan (1857-
1861) were discovered within the stairway newel post (to the right) .
1,2 4,5,6