Page 4 - LeRoy Historical

SEO Version

(continued on page 5)
Page 4
This rural school was located on
the northeast corner of Route 5 and
Nilesville Road. Listed as District 8
as early as 1866, it was also known
as the Janes School, the Paul Dis-
trict and the LeRoy-Stafford School
District #8. (District numbers were
changed frequently and there was
a District #8 on Linwood Road.) For
quite a time, the school building was
one of the three stone school hous-
es in LeRoy, never the less, it was the
Nilesville School that was known as
the “Old Stone School.”
The fles at the Historical Society
include a hand-written list of people
associated with the Nilesville School
copied from the early school records.
Unfortunately the whereabouts of
the original records in not known,
but the list indicates that the school
may have been organized as early as
1818. Some of the names include:
Nathaniel Haywood, Joshua Park,
Platt S.Beach, Reuben Blish?, Timo-
thy Brown, Jacob Coe, Eziekial King,
Charles Butler, Hanson Anderson,
Joel Butler, James Blodgett, Carthana
Coe, (wife of Dr.William Coe) Samuel
Coe, Asa Fitch, John Richards, and
Frank Smith. In 1869, Calvin Keeney
attended the stone School and his
teacher was William T. Stone.
The Historical Society has the re-
cords from 1908 to September 8,
1949. The frst entry in 1908 from
the annual meeting held on Au-
gust 4, includes a listing of the bal-
ance on hand: $292.58 collected
in taxes; $125 public money; and a
$20 rebate on books for a total of
$509.68. The teacher’s wages were
listed as $452.50 leaving a balance
of $57.18. The 1909 annual meeting
listed the expenditures of $25.10 for
maps; $20.00 for libraries; $4.25 for a
fag; $15.00 for the janitor; $2.00 for
cleaning the school; $1.00 for clean-
ing the yard; $10.43 for coal; 35 cents
for a broom and 30 cents for chalk.
The school building was very close
to the road and when automobile
traffc increased, the trustees voted
in 1917 to erect signs east and west
of the school to warn motorists.
A reunion of District 8 was held
on May 22, 1920. The event was re-
ported in the
LeRoy Gazette:
“Mrs.
Ida L. Grumiaux was chosen teacher
and a regular session of school was
held which was called by the ring-
ing of the little hand bell to which
all had so often responded. Classes
from the primer to mental arithme-
tic were called. There was a spelling-
down match and extracts from jour-
nals written in the early school days
were read. At the close of the session,
rewards of merit and last day pres-
ents, each signifcant of bygone day
were distributed which afford great
amusement. During the recess pe-
riod, the old water pail and dipper
and the little tin dinner pails, flled
with appetizing lunches, provided
the refreshments. Those present at
the reunion were: Mrs. Maggie Myers
Heimlech,Mrs. Bessie Smith Cole,Mrs.
EffeWatson Farley,Mrs. Effe VanValk-
enburg Townsend, Daisy Niles Howe,
Mrs. Inez Standard Thompson, Mrs.
Jennie Weller Morris, Miss Mary O.
Paul, Miss Mary E. Janes all of LeRoy
Mrs. Clara Davis Gillette of Rochester
and Mrs. Ida L Grumiaux of Buffalo.”
At the 1920 annual meeting, a let-
ter was read fromMr.Uphill “in regard
to sanitary closets - - after a lengthy
discussion a motion was made and
seconded that Trustee Bater talk with
Mr. Uphill in regard to the matter - -
“ a year later Mr. Uphill suggested
that they consider building a new
school but it wasn’t until 1927 that
the trustees agreed to spend $6,600
for the new building. Nicholas Law-
rence was awarded the bid for con-
struction. It was necessary to borrow
$2,300 fromFrancisMatthews;$1,100
from Thomas Squires and $1,000
from Henry Stevens to proceed with
the work. The new school was built
and there was considerable discus-
sion concerning the disposal of the
old stone school. Many hoped that
the old building could be preserved.
Others suggested that stone from
the old school be made into a monu-
ment. Eventually the stone building
was torn down.
At the 1930 annual school meeting,
Henry Stevens was elected chairman
and a budget of $1,700was approved.
Mrs. Clark Daniels was elected trust-
ee; Alfred Stevens was listed as the
tax collector and Merle Woeller was
elected clerk. As the years passed,
fewer and fewer students attended
the little rural school. In 1936 it was
noted that Prof. Spry of LeRoy High
School reported that 7 or 8 pupils
were going to the LeRoy School, but
after discussion the motion to send
students to the village was defeated.
At a special meeting on October 9,
1936 it was voted to install new septic
tanks in the school house to replace
the old ones. It was also voted to drill
a well on the premises.
In 1938, Mrs. Myers a teacher from
Niles Road School